Sunday, March 30, 2014

My Two Loves In the Garden

These two cuties hang out with me while I'm watering, weeding, planting, and sweating.  They enjoy laying in shady spots and playing with their toys.  

This is Ross in front of a salvia plant that divided last year.

And here he is on the rubber path.  He is always with a toy to chew.  Ross is the one who bites off flowers and chews off leaves even with his chew toys scattered everywhere!


That's Chandler clearly hot and bothered in the sun.

And as a side note, yes they are named after "Friends" characters!

Sometimes, though, they want to jump into flower beds, chew off flowers and leaves, and pee on some of my favorite plants!  Case in point, Chandler, my French Bulldog, jumped up to see who was talking to me (my neighbor telling me about her dying petunias), and knocked this pot over.  Poor Gerbera Daisy never saw it coming.




Still, they are the loves of my life, and I won't ban them from hanging out by the pretty flowers.  

Here's a serious gardening question, though: Will spraying bitter apple on Ross's favorite plants safe to do?  I don't want to kill the plants with the spray, but Ross might ruin them before the spray ever does!

Wanna see more of these two?  Click here for their Facebook page.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about using bitter apple spray on plants - you'd have to reapply it frequently anyway. Luckily my dogs' pen is separated from the garden or I could see having a huge problem with the one that likes to dig.

    I did want to mention that you might want to check out this list of plants that are toxic to dogs that the ASPCA put together, especially since your dog seems to really like chewing on plants: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/toxic-and-non-toxic-plants?field_toxicity_value[]=01

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I figured I'd have to spray often, but I thought maybe they'd stop chewing after a while if I did it for long enough. Ross also likes to dig! He's dug a few small plants out of the ground! They also do have a fences in area that I built for them. I stick them in there when I get fed up with their naughtiness ;-).

      I got rid of an oleander last year due to its toxicity. I try to look at toxic plant lists once in a while. I do worry Ross is chewing up some toxic plant.

      Just curious, what type of dog is your four-legged friend? I love dogs!

      Delete